We have included a few simple tips that will help you present your home in its best light. Remember, you only have one chance to make a great first impression!
- Move excess furniture like footstools, extra tables and extra chairs to a storage unit to clear out clutter and make rooms look bigger.
- Store all toys and keep your house clean and clutter-free.
- Have a yard sale to sell anything you no longer want or need, or donate your items to local charities (tax deductible).
- Clean carpets, drapes and even furniture, if needed.
- If repainting, replacing carpets or redecorating, try to use neutral colors (beige, camel, light gray, etc.).
- Add a fresh coat of paint (neutral shade) to interior walls.
- Replace carpets if worn or outdated.
- Fix anything obvious on the outside of your home.
- Inspect your home thoroughly and either repair large problems such as a faulty roof or broken appliances, or adjust your price and / or negotiate terms accordingly.
- Keep your lawn, shrubs and plants neatly trimmed to maximize your “curb appeal”.
- Get a new mailbox or new house numbers to further enhance curb appeal.
- Add color to the outside of your home by planting flowers, hanging flowering baskets and adding a coat of fresh paint to shutters.
- Repaint front door, polish brass knocker and kickplate to make your entryway shine.
- Clean garage of clutter and sweep out thoroughly.
- Clear off the back deck or patio to make it look larger and more relaxing.
- On the day of a showing, bake cookies or bread and make a fresh pot of coffee. These comforting aromas can help make a house seem like a home.